Monday 11 August 2014

Spellbinders Bird Stand purse

Hi, design elf Katrina here to show you what I have been up too in my craft nook.

     Something a bit different today, I have been enjoying my sewing of late. I love to use my dies with fabric and felt and  as you can see the Spellbinders dies cut felt easily. Dies are not just for paper and for me the more you can do with a crafting tool the better.

     As some of you will know I LOVE Austria and spend as much time there as I can. So this is a Austrian inspired zipped purse I made using felt as a base and then added some red gingham and burlap. The ribbon I bought the first time I went to Austria about 20 years ago!!


To use your dies with felt or in fact any material there are a couple of tips you might find helpful.  Before I cut my die cut stag or any detailed die out I ironed a stabiliser, like heat and bond, onto the back of the felt or material. I wanted to attach the stag to the heart and this shape is far too intricate to sew on, so I could then just iron it onto the heart to attach it. I didn't bother with stabiliser for the heart as I knew I could stitch it on to the purse.     You also may need to pass the die through your machine to get it all cut out, especially if it is as detailed as this one. Take care when taking the cut felt out of the die as it can tear, if it dose no matter, it wont show when it is ironed down.



I put the stags head onto the heart, stitched the heart in place and then made up the purse. In hind sight I think I would of stitched the heart in place made up the purse and then ironed the stag head in place at the finish.

So there we are, try your dies with fabric. You don't have to use them in sewing projects, felt looks great on cards and scrapbook layouts too!

Happy crafting!
                                Love Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment