Saturday 14 October 2017

Halloween brooch

Hello! Design elf Katrina here again with another project to inspire you.   Have you seen the new Disney buttons by Dress-it up in the shop? I think I am right in saying there is something there for everyone. One of my favourite films is “ The Nightmare Before Christmas “  so when I spotted the Nightmare before Christmas Dress-it up button set I had to have a play with them. You get lots of buttons in the set, Jack Skeleton and two of his heads, as well as Sally and Zero the ghost dog.    I have chosen to use one of Jack Skeleton’s heads and Zero the ghost dog to make these cute rosette style brooches.
These are so easy to make.
 
All you need is some black felt and orange ribbon. 
 
To make the Zero the ghost dog’s brooch I cut a strip of the black felt using pinking sheers. I then stitched a running stitch along the bottom of the felt strip. This doesn’t have to be neat, so you don’t have to be a good seamstress to do this.
 
Gather your felt up into a tight circle by pulling on your thread and then stitch the two ends together to form your first rosette.
 
Do the same for the ribbon piece.
 
Layer the felt rosette on top of the ribbon one and put your button on the top with the shank of the button poking through the hole in the middle of the two rosettes.
 
Stitch the button to the sides of the rosettes to secure. You won’t see this so make sure its nice and secure.
 
Cut another small piece of felt and stitch that as neatly as you can on the back of your rosette to cover the hole. You can then add a brooch back to the back too to make a sweet brooch for your bag or coat.
 
The smaller brooch made using the Jack Skeleton head button was made in the same way but I used a thiner ribbon and thinner strip  of black felt.
 
Of course you don’t have to stop at two rosettes, you can build them up using different ribbons, lace and fabric strips as you wish
 
I hope you like my brooches and will give them a go. If you have any questions or need help then you can contact me here or over on our Facebook page.
 
These and other Disney Dress-it up buttons can be found in the shop here -
Ribbons and lace here -
http://www.thefruitpixie.co.uk/fibres-ribbons--trims-54-c.asp
 
Brooch backs -
 
I have a couple of other projects for the Dress-it up Disney buttons coming up so pop back again very soon to see what else you can do with these buttons.
 
Until then, take care 
  Love Katrina x
         

No comments:

Post a Comment