Friday 1 March 2013

Steampunk page - masking tape technique

Hi there Katrina the resident Fruit Pixie designer here with my first page of my Steampunk book. My idea for this book was to share my favourite mixed media techniques, so here is the first one, using masking tape!!

  I would like you to meet Mr and Mrs Hunt and their little pet Horris. Mr Hunt is an inventor of wondrous things, including their little pet too I think!  Here is how I made their page.



First I cut a cabinet card shape from the Alterations cabinet card die out of a stiff card. It could be a cereal box card as you wont see the back. I then ripped up pieces of masking tape and covered the shape, layering one strip on top of the other slightly to give lots of texture. Burnish it down well with the end of a ruler or bone folder.


Make up the colour of your choice from the Imagination Crafts mica powder kit with the magi bond it comes with, into a wonderful paint and cover your masking tape. You can add a second colour too if you wish. leave to dry.



Cover your page with the Bo Bunny Timepiece collection paper and add your masking tape cabinet card on top.


Add images and embellishments, I chose one of the steampunk clock charms and the Tim Holtz light bulbs which are no longer available at the Fruit Pixie.

 Now I covered a cabinate card shape for this page but you can use this technique on anything you like for cardmaking and scrapbooking. It gives a lovely textured finish and using the mica powder paint has a wonderful two tone sheen too. Why not have a go.

Happy crafting
                           Love Katrina



No comments:

Post a Comment